Monday, January 11, 2016

Of Adventures

   If you can't tell by the title, I'm about to explore the topic of adventures. First, let's start off with some definitions, courtesy of dictionary.com. I'm only using half of the ones listed in the article, if you want to see the rest, follow this link.

Adventure:

n. 1. an exciting or very unusual experience.
2. participation in exciting undertakings or enterprises:

the spirit of adventure.
3. a bold, usually risky undertaking; hazardous action of uncertain outcome.
v. 6. to risk or hazard.
7. to take the chance of; dare.
   I'm sure many of you wish your life was more exiting and adventurous, or have at one time. I tend to dream of an exciting life, full of adventure and new things, until something new or exciting happens and I am forced to be adventurous. When I actually experience an adventure, I agree with the words of Bilbo when answering Gandalf, in J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit.
"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone."
"I should think so—in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"
   Bilbo is quite right. I've had a few adventures in my life, and they aren't as fantastical and dreamy as the books make them out to be. Earlier this year, my family traveled for almost three months straight. That was an adventure. I started out somewhat excited, but by the second week, I simply wanted to go home. The truth of it is, adventures are often raw and dirty things that require sacrifice and perseverance. Even book characters experience the hardship of adventures.  
[spoiler alert, those who haven't read The Hobbit.] Going with the example of The Hobbit, Bilbo does get home, but he loses several friends along the way, and he continues to suffer the effects of the ring for the rest of his life.  
[you're safe to read on now.]

   New experiences are scary. It is very human to have a fear of the unknown. With God, we can face those fears.  I like to think of new experiences as adventures. That means most of this year shall be an adventure. A perilous realm, if you will. I have an entire new year to explore with Christ, and so do you. That is an exciting thought. We get to be adventurers for Christ. Take risks, be brave. God's got this.

   I have a challenge for you. Take an ongoing risk in some area of your life this year, whether it be in your writing, being more involved at your church, applying to a college, making a new friend... You get the idea. The adventure you choose should be geared to make you a better Christian.

   I've decided to be more intentional in who I talk to. I want to make more of an effort to reach out to quieter people, because I'm one of them and I know how it feels not to be listened to. I've also decided that I want the stories I write to have strong themes.

   What about you? What risk will you take? What adventure do you choose?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Adventure is definitely a word that catches the imagination. The perilous realm is such a great analogy.

    This year I'd like to reach out to my long distance friends more and connect with my creative community, to encourage and be encouraged by fellow Kingdom-building artists. A risk, however small it may be, would be speaking more intentionally and about important things, not just resorting to small talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you liked it!

      Those are noble goals. :) I'd definitely like to do more of those things too.

      Delete