Tuesday, May 3, 2016

The Quest for Inspiration

     So I was inspired to write a blog post. Ironically enough, it was another blog post that inspired me. Just goes to show, inspiration can be found almost anywhere. Outside, in the grocery store, at the dinner table, youth group... The list goes on. Everywhere you look, there is a piece of dialogue, an object to describe, a plot point, a character. Inspiration should be easy. You only have to look for it. Searching for inspiration is a skill you develop.

     Sometimes the smallest things can lead to a burst of inspiration. A little spark can throw you into a dreamy, inspired mindset for a whole day. Inspiration can't be faked. You can force yourself to write a story or draw a picture. And that's great. But it isn't the same as writing or drawing under inspiration.

     Inspiration can't be faked, but it can be found. You can't decide when to be inspired, but it certainly helps to know where to look for inspiration.



     I have a list of things I do when I'm searching for inspiration. So here:
-Take pictures. Zoom in, look closer than usual and everyday things.
-Go watch a play. There's nothing better than seeing a well plotted story being acted out right before your eyes.
-Read a story. Analyze what bits are your favorite, and how you might implement them in your own writing.
-Go for a walk. Fresh air, flowers, trees, sky... Quite inspirational.
-Observe the people around you. Take time to wonder what really makes them tick. I guarantee you will at least get a character trait out of it.
-Scroll across Pinterest. Ok. This one's tricky, because Pinterest can also turn into "Oh, look at this hilarious cat meme." And that's not inspirational. (I mean, maybe it is to some people.) But I find that looking at writing boards or travel boards or character boards or art boards are most inspirational for me.
-Visit a few writing blogs. Some amazing ones are GoTeenWriters, StoryForger, and This Incandescent Life.
-Write a letter, or journal, or something that's not what you need inspiration for. (For some reason, writing in cursive makes me feel really fancy and that sometimes inspires me to continue along in my creative endeavors.)
-Do something new. Changing it up can get you out of your usual pattern of thinking.
-Play an instrument or listen to music. Unplugging and just immersing yourself in music can be a great way to get thoughts going.
-Organize something. This one's more of something I do, because organizing relaxes me. Also having a clear work space is important.

     A few months ago I did a post on artist's block that kind of builds on this topic.

     ...That's about all I have for today. Apologies for the late post. I haven't got an excuse for it, either. Although I did manage to type up 700 words in my WIP after having writer's block for a while!

     What inspires you? (Comments are great, and guess what? They inspire me to write more posts. <3 )

4 comments:

  1. Wow, nice post Alexandra! (And also yes This Incandescent Life can we please just all acknowledge that we've learned everything we need to know to be mature adults from that and the Bible okay good XD)

    But Pinterest IS A TRAP *screams* Okay FINE Alexandra you have the skilz to stay focused but for me THE CAT MEME PLEASE AND THANK YOU. :P XDXD

    But yes the outdoors are always inspiring also. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! YES The Incandescent Life is amazing. (As is the Bible, of course)

      XD Yes I know I've fallen into it more times than I would like to admit or count.

      Although sometimes I go outside and end up very distracted because things are moving and interesting and pretty.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post! You've gained a follower :) And thanks for pointing me to a new blog or two ;) I must say, I use most of the resources you do for inspiration. You're right, Pinterest usually ends up to be a mistake. I only find inspiration on there when I'm not looking :P Also, your posts are the PERFECT length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's always encouraging. ^.^ Well, I suppose you didn't need my advice on how to find inspiration, then. :P
      Well I'm glad you think so.

      Delete